Sunday, August 7, 2022

No-Added Sugar Ice Cream! (Braum's)

 I went to Aldi's yesterday to do the initial shopping for my experiment.  I have decided to live as if I had a diagnosis of Type 2 Diabetes. I don't have it, but I want to experience what my friends and family may be feeling. I want to know the struggles they have when it comes to preparing or even thinking of preparing meals for themselves.  What I've come to learn in just the very short time I've been living this way, (two days) is that there are so many people who refuse to give up sugars and carbs even if they are diagnosed. There are still others who don't have diabetes, but they live with a spouse, loved one, or roommate who does, and those people refuse to cut out the sugars and carbs too; all but forcing the person with diabetes to be tempted because the food is in the house! I can't imagine the actual struggle! The pseudo struggle is bad enough!

    I went to Aldi's because it is a good-sized store and it would have quite a few things I could check out, read the labels for, and you know, just make good meal plans based on what I can see. I went the 2nd step and bought foods that have less or no sugar, and I am determined to live as if I actually had the disease so I can really understand the obstacles and difficulties. I think if more people were willing to help others and be more accountable there would be less illness and more controlled situations. When I mentioned I was doing this type of experiment to my friends and those I love, I received a few different responses. (I expected that)

    One friend said, "Oh, that's really wonderful of you, but if you don't actually have it you don't have to do that."  I know that.  I really don't have to do this, but I want to, and I think maybe it may be another good way to finally lose those last stubborn 20 pounds that seem to be clinging onto me.  Another friend was more empathetic, she said, "If I thought I could do that I would," then she added that she was really grateful that she and her husband are well because that big of a change could split them up as a couple. That didn't surprise me.  Some people will not go that extra mile for their spouse EVEN WHEN the vows state that they will; through sickness and in health.

    One family member said he was proud of me and thought if our other family members had done that for someone we know it may have ended better for that person. I'm being vague on purpose. I don't want fingers being pointed, and I certainly don't want accusations being made, but I see the point. If we all were just a bit more empathetic instead of sympathetic, it may end up differently for some of those who we love and hope are around to enjoy more celebrations!  Still another friend said she would be happy to try doing it, she admitted to needing to lose weight, but she said she doesn't have time to prep meals really, and she didn't think she could sustain the strict guidelines when grabbing something fast and on the go is so easy.

    I forgot the ice cream when I went to Aldi. I forgot to even see if they sold it! I can't believe me. It's OK though because 9 times out of 10 times I buy my ice cream at Braum's Ice Cream and Dairy Stores anyway. Braum's is an Oklahoma staple company, and it would only make sense in my life that I buy all of my no-sugar-added ice creams from the best.  Well, I went there today, and they had a whole section of no-added sugar ice creams. I think people used to say no sugar, but even skim milk has natural sugars, so it's no added sugar.  The best of the best is, of course, CHOCOLATE.  Braum's had about 10 flavors I think. I bought the chocolate. It's really really good. There is a very minor aftertaste, but nothing that would be considered yucky by anyone. I'm happy!  I think if this is the way it is going to be I could live with this for sure. (I do have to add that I will miss the macaroons) I can make things with Stevia, but even in my wildest dreams, I can't imagine a Braum's store being completely no-added sugar/carb.

    For grins and giggles, as I finish off one of my half-gallon tubs of delicious and oh-s0-wonderful no-added sugar ice creams, I will buy the next, then the next, and just reiterate in my head that the decision I made was in fact the best one to be made. Sometimes you just have to pat yourself on the back and shove the ice cream into your mouth!



Photo Credit: Me

No comments: